Monday, June 3, 2013

making progress

Last week was a conference week--I'm still recuperating.  I seem to have more help each time and do less myself, but I'm still just as tired when it's all over.  Last one for the academic year, though.  Now on to the two-week summer seminar.

So I want to get this done and on its way before that hits.  
 I left a bit of this one uncompleted to show the paddings.  I'm padding the petals with self padding--a split stitch outline then a lazy-daisy inside and, for the front-most or biggest petal, a few straight stitches on top of the lazy-daisy.  The strawberry is padded with cut-to-shape felt before laid stitches, then trellis couching.  It's the tie downs on the trellis that make the seed pattern on the berries.

Most of the leaves are just satin stitch.  Some things I'm stitching "western"--background up--and others "eastern"--foreground back.  I think the stems in the leaves make a huge difference. I left them out on that final stem near the unfinished flower.

You can tell how wrinkly the fabric is--I'm using a hoop.  And I just plopped this down on the scanner this morning without any pressing.  By now it's just grubby enough from my hands (you can't see it but I know it's there) that I won't press it until after it's washed.

The garden is lovely but out weather's been so bad I've gotten out of the habit of carrying the camera.  The plants do like all that extra rain. 

5 comments:

Aurelia Eglantine said...

Oh, your strawberries are looking great! It's wonderful to see WIP photos, especially of the felt padding. That's a technique I really want to try, the dimensional effect is so neat :)

Anonymous said...

I agree - I love to see ongoing pictures to be able to see how the underlying working affects the outcome - this is a joy!

Southpaw Stitcher said...

Very cool!

Anne said...

It's really lovely!

Jenny Woolf said...

It's beautiful, Marjorie. I wonder if anyone anywhere in the world is having NICE weather!